Attention Deficit Therapy
Thursday, July 22, 2004
 
I like Margaret Cho.
What exactly did Martha Stewart do that was so wrong that she needs to go to jail for five months? I don't think she is any danger to herself or society. Getting her off the streets and into the Big House just doesn't make sense. Why are we wasting all this taxpayer money to put her in her place? It isn't worth it. I am not afraid of Martha Stewart. I think prison should be for people who may be harmful to others, and I just cannot imagine that her passion for entertaining is going to turn her into a menace to society.

Margaret Cho BLOG
Comments:
Ha! I"m studying for my Criminal Law final, and I will tell you. There are two main principles of punishment: retributive and utilitarian.
Retributive was that she should be punished because she deserves it for being bad. You can look at it two ways. First, you could say that as a criminal she has no rights and we as non-criminals get to punish her (I personally don't like this view very much at all). Secondly, you could say that by punishing her we're acknowledging her freewill to choose between a good and bad acts.
The utilitarian view says that we should punish Martha Stewart because it's good for society. But, generally, utilitarians are not a fan of punishing people if it causes society great expense, it doesn't actually cause a deterrence, etc.
Thus, dear Liz and Margaret Cho, we live in a society that likes the retributionist view. Martha was bad and now she is punished.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

free web counter
Verizon Wireless Phones