Attention Deficit Therapy
Friday, June 25, 2004
 
An apology...er, or clarification at least.
So, a couple of days ago, I was more than usually pissed off at the usual suspects and I said something really stupid. In the midst of a (near-hysterical? ha..) tirade, I flipped out and proclaimed that "I hate Republicans." Today, for whatever reason, I thought about that statement during my entire 45 minute walk to work. And I thought about why it was wrong and I knew that I had to change it, or alter it somehow. I could, theoretically, go back and edit that post. But that wouldn't seem right either. I said it. It's out there, and I think that I'd rather admit that I was wrong and submit a new statement that I would prefer represent my general opinion on the topic.

What I think I meant to say, is that I have a really hard time understanding people who prescribe to any established system of beliefs with a fundamentalist mentality. In particular, I find the Republican Party/the Right/"conservatives" to be very much in opposition to rights/freedoms/beliefs/morals/values that I depend on and feel very strongly about. I also, in general, have a very hard time understanding the actions and statements of Republican U.S. Government officials. And when these people, who have SO much power and influence say or do things that I really believe are hurtful (to myself/Americans/the rest of the world?), I get really upset and occasionally have a hard time putting my anger or dissatisfaction into the appropriate, intelligent language.

I don't hate Republicans. One of my best friends in the world is a Republican. She believes that the Republican Party better represents her Christian beliefs. Fortunately, this gives me good fodder with which to practice putting my expressions of disagreement into "the appropriate, intelligent language." (And realizing that sometimes others can do an even better job, I asked her if she would please read Kurt Vonnegut's recent article from In These Times--I think it's pretty brilliant and she even agreed.)

So basically, I guess this is just an assuagement of my own guilt over having said something stupid and without thinking first. And if I can recognize that this doesn't make me a bad person, just a person prone to irrational human behavior (action without thought) it seems that I should give others the benefit of the doubt as well. Or at least give them a couple of days to mull over what they said and have a chance to realize that it was wrong.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

free web counter
Verizon Wireless Phones